Google has rolled out the new algorithm update on July 26 named the “link spam update”. The algorithm update that will be deployed in the next two weeks is more effective at spotting and revoking link spam across multiple languages.
Some points here:
- Link Spam Update is the name (not with a date, like Link Spam Update July 2021)
- Started Monday, July 26th
- It will take two weeks to roll out
- Global and multilingual update
- Nullify spammy links but not penalize them (just not count them versus not penalize the site)
- Ignoring links will feel like a penalty
- Nofollow is fine, you do not need to use rel sponsored
- Google won’t say how much this will impact the search results
If there is a drop in your rankings over the next couple of weeks, it might be related to this link spam update.
Site owners have to ensure that they follow the best practices on both incoming and outgoing links. The focus should be on providing high-quality content and exceptional user experience than promoting manipulated links. Promote site awareness with tagged links and monetize it with properly tagged affiliate links.