Performance Max campaign is a new goal-based campaign type that enables performance advertisers to their entire Google Ads inventory in one campaign. It’s designed to complement Google’s keyword-based Search campaigns to help access you find more convertible customers across YouTube, Display, Search, Discover, Gmail, and Maps.
Using Smart Bidding, Performance Max optimizes performance in real time and across channels to deliver more conversions and value. Performance Max combines Google’s automation technologies for bidding, budget optimization, audiences, creatives, and attribution. All of them are driven by your advertising objective (such as CPA or ROAS) and the creative assets, audience signals, and optional data feeds you provide.
Benefits of Performance Max Campaign
Find more converting customers:
- Customize your goals to maximize conversions or conversion value depending on your business.
- With Performance Max, you can engage customers across Google’s channels.
- In combination with Google’s real-time understanding of consumers’ intents and preferences, Performance Max can uncover new customer segments.
Drive better performance against your goals
- A data-driven approach optimizes for the most incremental touchpoints that drive customers to conversion.
- The use of machine learning models can help you predict which ads, audiences, and creative combinations will perform best.
Get More Transparent Insights
- Using Performance Max asset reporting can help you understand which creatives are driving performance and optimize campaign creatives to increase ROI.
- Insights such as rising search trends can help you understand changes in performance and guide your broader business strategies.
Downside of Performance Max campaign
- Performance Max ad campaigns have limited reporting capabilities. It is not possible to view how the site link has performed within an individual campaign, and asset group reports are likewise quite basic and do much not provide insight.
- Lack of Control: Automation takes control away from the advertiser.
- It is necessary to have clear-cut goals: If your conversion targets are ambiguous, the will not performance campaign succeed.
- You can’t add negative keywords to the performance max campaign. However, Google has announced that account-level negative keywords will soon be available.
When to use the Performance Max campaign
Performance Max is the best option to use when:
- You have specific advertising and conversion goals (for example, driving online sales, lead generation, and others).
- If you want to maximize performance and aren’t restricted by which channels your ads appear on.
- With one campaign, you can access all of Google’s advertising channels.
- Beyond keyword-based search campaigns, you want to get additional reach and conversion value.
To drive conversions or conversion value for your goals, Performance Max optimizes bids and placements using machine learning models, but you can provide valuable inputs like audience signals (including your customer data) and high-quality text, images, and videos that can significantly improve the performance of your campaign. Applying conversion values and setting value rules can also help you determine what types of conversions are most valuable to your business. Account-level brand safety settings are also available so you can tell Google Ads about the types of content where you don’t want your ads to appear.